2 September 2017

Victoria sponge cake


 

A classic. Whenever you go out for tea there will always be a slice of Victoria sponge waiting at the counter for you. It's the cake most people go for as it's not too sweet but is still delicious and can be found presented in many different ways. If you are not from Britain just think of it as a yellow cake filled with Jam and cream. Yum!


 It's been a manic few years. I've gone from baking every weekend, to turning a hobby into a job, to hating baking and now I'm slowly coming back to it. But while I sit here writing this, munching on my slice of cake i've come to realise that maybe the reason I stopped baking wasn't because I no longer loved it but because it made me fat! So my plan is, from now on I am back in the baking game, however no more stuffing my face, instead I need to learn to share.


 INGREDIENTS
Sponge
175g softened butter
175g self-raising flour
175g caster sugar
1tsp baking powder
3 eggs

Filling
 4tbsp raspberry jam
300ml double cream
2tbsp icing sugar 
extra icing sugar for dusting


METHOD
  1. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4 (180C/350F). Grease two 8" tin and line with baking paper. 
  2. Mix together the baking powder, flour, eggs, sugar and butter until nice and smooth. 
  3. Divide the mixture evenly between the two prepared tins and place in a preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until golden. 
  4. Leave to cool and then turn out onto baking paper. While your cake is cooling, whisk your cream until it is thick but still creamy, then add the two tbsp of icing sugar and whisk for another minute. 
  5. Spoon and spread the jam onto one side of your cake, and then top with the cream and sandwich the other cake on top. Sift the icing onto the top of the cake.
 Enjoy your cake with a cuppa and a cwtch.

No comments:

Post a Comment