22 October 2013

CHOCOLATE ORANGE WHOOPIE PIES

 So Halloween is almost upon us and I am soooo excited. I love halloween, it's scary, you get to dress up and it's ok to eat your weight in candy. At the moment I am in love with woopie pies, I found a recipe a few weeks ago and every since I can't help but come up with a load of my own. I know chocolate orange is more of a Christmas flavor and I should really have gone for more of a pumpkin whoopie pie but hopefully I will be making them next week with all my left over pumpkin puree from pumpkin carving. 

So here is my recipe for chocolate orange whoopie pies, enjoy :)

Makes 10
Takes 15 minutes



INGREDIENTS
1 egg
150g brown sugar
275g unsalted butter 
1 tsp vanilla extract
2tbsp plain yogurt
150ml butter milk (milk and 1tsp white wine vinegar)
1tsp baking powder
zest of an orange
80g cocoa powder
230g self-raising flour


METHOD
1. Preheat your oven to gas mark 4 (180C/350F), make sure your butter and egg is at room temperature.
 2. Cream together your butter and sugar until mixed through.
 3. Zest your orange into a bowl.
 4. Add your egg, orange zest and vanilla to the mixture. Whisk through.
 5. Sift in your flour, cocoa and baking powder together. Add the buttermilk and whisk through.
 6. When fully mixed in add the yogurt and fold in to hold in the air.
 7. Place a tbsp of the mixture onto a baking sheet and using a spoon smooth into circles. Place in the oven for 15 minutes until cooked through.
8. Leave to cool.

ICING


INGREDIENTS
1tsp Vanilla extract
Zest of an orange and 1 tbsp orange juice
300g Icing sugar 
100g unsalted butter
Orange food coloring (optional)
 1. Mix together your butter, icing sugar, orange zest and juice and vanilla extract.
 2. When smooth add your food coloring.
3. Pair up your cooled whoopie pies to another one the same size and pipe into the center of your whoopie pie. If you want to make it into a spider use icing for the eyes and chocolate for the legs.

I hope you enjoy my recipe and let me know what you think, enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment