100g self-raising flour
100g unsalted butter
100g casting sugar
30g cocoa powder
pinch of salt
Takes 15-20 minutes to bake
1. Preheat your oven to gas mark 4 (180C/350F), place your cupcake cases in a muffin tin as this makes them taller. Make sure your eggs and butter are at room temperature.
2. Beat together your butter and sugar until it is nice and smooth.
3. Add the eggs, flour, cocoa powder and salt to the bowl and mix together until smooth and well mixed.
4. Add the zest of one orange and one tbsp of juice.
5. Place your mix in the cupcake cases and bake for 15-20 minutes until risen and when a skewer comes out clean.
6. They should look like this, leave to cool and move on to the icing.
250g icing sugar
orange food colouring
half the zest of an orange
1tbsp orange juice.
1. Mix all the ingredients together until nice and thick so it is easy to pipe. Now either place in an icing bag and pipe into your choosen design or just spread over your cakes using a spoon.
I decided to go with some rose designs and for my first attempt I think I did pretty good, still a lot of work to go though. These were super yummy and easy. Give them a go and let me know what you think :)