14 March 2014

Red Velvet cupcakes


Red velvet wasn't really seen a lot in Britain until recently, however I have always been a huge fan. The cream cheese frosting is by far my favorite part it's not overly sweet and has a lovely consistency. The sponge is always moist and the red colour makes it different and fun.



 It is really hard to find a red velvet cupcake that tastes like a real traditional red velvet sponge. I have tried so many shops and bakeries and just can't find one that works for me. However I love my recipe, it reminds me of the ones I had on my trip to the states a few years back and I can't fault it.




Makes 12


Cake
 175g plain flour
200g casting sugar
1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 egg
1/2 tbsp white vinegar
red food colouring
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
170ml vegetable oil
115ml buttermilk

Frosting
115g butter or margarine
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
365g icing sugar
85g cream cheese 

Method
1. Preheat your oven to has mark 4 (350F/180C).
 2. Mix all your wet ingredients together in a bowl.

 3. In a separate bowl mix all your dry ingredients together.

 4. Add your wet ingredients to your dry ingredients and mix together.

 5. Add to your cupcake cases.

 6. Bake in the middle of the oven for 20-25 minutes until risen and cooked through. Allow to cool. 

7. For the frosting mix together your cream cheese and butter until smooth.

8.  Add your icing sugar and vanilla until it thickens.

9. Either spread onto your cooled cupcakes or pipe. Decorate as desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment