23 January 2014

Chocolate baked doughnuts with white chocolate

 For the past month I have been looking EVERYWHERE for a doughnut pan! They seem to be non existent in Britain even Lakeland didn't sell them, so after looking over and over again online I finally found a cute store online called 'sugar shack' they sell loads of equipment and baking products really cheaply (which a student like me needs as it's hard enough affording rent). At first I was a little skeptical about whether the site was real or not but after some research I placed my order.






When my parcel arrived I was so excited, and opened it to find everything as it should be.

I've wanted to make baked doughnuts for ages, I've made them before using a dough, but having to wait hours for it to prove became boring and not worth the 6 doughnuts I got out of it.

I had prepared a recipe that I had been working on for a while but instead of a doughnut pan I had been using a muffin tin, but this took the fun out of it, if I'm making doughnuts I want a doughnut shape!
 I know that they try to tell you that baked doughnuts aren't that bad for you, but unfortunately this isn't necessarily the truth. Yes they aren't cooked in oil like the original doughnuts, but unless you actually use low fat ingredients you may as well be eating a slice of cake. But I'm not complaining!



MAKES 6



INGREDIENTS
160g plain flour
100g casting sugar
30g cocoa powder
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
pinch of salt
100ml milk
1 egg
½ tsp vanilla
1 tbsp melted butter





You will also need a doughnut pan, but don't worry if you don't have one, you can just use a muffin tin. They will look different but taste the same. They may also take longer to bake.
METHOD
1. Preheat your oven to gas mark 4 ( 180C/350F), make sure your eggs are at room temperature. Grease your tin.
 2. Mix all your dry ingredients together.





3. Mix  together all your wet ingredients in a separate bowl.




 4. Add your wet ingredients to your dry ingredients and mix together, it will be thick mixture.
 5. Place your mixture in a piping bag if you have one, if not it doesn't matter. Fill your ring to 3/4 full, don't fill to high otherwise your doughnut wont have a circle in the centre.

 6. I filled mine a little to much but if this happens just cut the centre out. Place in the oven for 10 minutes until risen and cooked through.
 7. Remove and allow to chill.




 DOUGHNUT ICING

 White chocolate
Plain chocolate
sprinkles etc








1. Decorating doughnuts is all about having fun, so be creative as you can. Today I didn't have enough time to go crazy with the sprinkles so instead I granted some chocolate into a bowl.






2. Melt your white chocolate over the hob, turn it low as white chocolate is really temperamental. Keep steering it until it is smooth.

The next part you have to be very quick about. Pick up your doughnut turn it upside down and dunk it in the chocolate (BE CAREFUL IT'S HOT!)

Twist your doughnut in the chocolate and remove, you should now have a lovely coating on it. Quickly add your chocolate or sprinkles and leave to cool.


Now it's time to sit back with a coffee and stuff your face with doughnuts!
I hope you enjoy my recipe, if you have any questions please ask I am always happy to help and will get back to you as soon as possible. Please share and +1.

No comments:

Post a Comment