11 October 2013

COFFEE CAKE

 Tonight is game night, which means movies, monopoly and cake and what cake is better to keep us awake than coffee cake. I don't make a lot of cake, I'm more of a cookie/cupcake kind of girl, but I couldn't wait to get started on this one and trust me it was amazing! So moist which is what you need from a cake and a perfect treat. It is also HUGE which means it fed quite a few of us. Also may I just apologise for the bad quality photos, my camera isn't doing to great after being around so much flour and butter over the past few weeks and has decided it doesn't like me anymore.

Serves 10
Takes 25 minutes to bake



 INGREDIENTS
175g brown sugar
175g unsalted butter
175g self-raising flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
3tbsp strong coffee (made with water)







METHOD
1. Preheat your oven to gas mark 4(180C/350F). Make sure your eggs and butter are at room temperature.

 2. Line your tins with baking paper and butter.
 3. Mix together your butter and brown sugar until nice and smooth.
 4. Like this, make sure the butter is all blended.
 5. Add your coffee, eggs and whisk, then sift in your self-raising flour and baking powder.
 6. Divide the mixture between your two tins and spread around to the edges. Place in the middle of your oven on the same shelf for 25 minutes until golden and when a skewer is placed in it it comes out clean.
 7. Place on a cooling rack and allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes then remove and continue to cool.

ICING

 
INGREDIENTS
(For simple icing e.g. filling and top)
200g icing sugar
115g unsalted butter
1tsp vanilla extract
1tbsp coffee made with water.

(I doubled the mixture to do the sides and piping.)

 1. Add all the ingredients to the bowl and mix together until nice and creamy.
 2. Like this, then ice one of the cakes and then place the other one on top and ice the top.
3. Your cake is now complete, unless you fancy jazzing it up like mine, then ice the sides and pipe around the top. I used the remaining of my chocolate ganache from my devils food cake recipe which can be found below to do the chocolate design. http://themessykitchenuk.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/devils-food-cake.html

I hope you enjoyed my recipe and that you make some wonderful cakes, give it a go and let me know what you think :)

No comments:

Post a Comment