Summer is coming and if there is one thing that gets me in the mood for it its coconut! I love coconut, it's a fresh flavour and is really fun to use in baking. These cupcakes were a huge hit with everyone and after a stressful week of detoxing it was nice to treat myself.
These cupcakes are made using two very important flavours, coconut and chocolate. With a moist chocolate cake, stuffed with a coconut bar, topped with coconut frosting and decorated with dessicated coconut, chocolate shavings and a coconut bar they are a real treat.
They are quick and easy to make and perfect for the summer seasons.
50g cocoa powder
170g plain flour
2tsp baking powder
120g unsalted butter
2tsp vanilla essence
200g casting sugar
3 coconut chocolate bars (bounty)
750g icing sugar
160g unsalted butter
80ml coconut milk
- Preheat your oven to gas mark 5 (375F/190C).
- Boil your water and mix in your cocoa powder. Leave to cool.
- Whilst cooling combine your butter and sugar in a separate bowl until creamy.
- Mix in your egg and vanilla essence.
- Mix in your flour and baking powder.
- Once all these are combined pour in your cocoa mixture. Mix together until combined.
- Place 12 cupcake cases in a muffin tin.
- Place a small amount of mixture in each case, then add the chopped up coconut bar and cover with the rest of the mixture until each on is 3/4 full.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 15 minutes until cooked through.
- Remove and cool.
- For the frosting beat your butter until smooth.
- Add in your icing sugar and combine.
- Add your coconut milk until creamy and a thick enough consistency so that you can spread/pipe. (If the mixture is runny add more icing sugar if thick add more coconut milk).
- Spread onto your cakes, top with the dessicated coconut, chocolate shavings and coconut bar.