Just looking at these doughnuts makes me drool, they are bananatastic! The chocolate and the banana in the doughnut works perfectly together, the chocolate glaze and caramelised bananas being an added bonus.
This recipe works best with overripe bananas as they are sweeter, however any banana will do.
I love baked doughnuts, they are quick to make, less hassle and half the fat of fried doughnuts.They do have a more cake like texture but who cares when you can eat more!
140g plain flour
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 mashed banana
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
75g casting sugar
1/2 tbsp melted butter
Chocolate glaze & Banana
15g cocoa powder
140g icing sugar
2tbsp brown sugar
1. Preheat your oven to gas mark 4 (180C/350F).
2. Sift together your flour, baking powder, nutmeg, salt and sugar into a bowl.
3. Add your egg, buttermilk, vanilla extract, mashed banana and melted butter and mix together.
4. Add your chocolate chips.
5. Fill to 3/4 full. Bake in your oven for 10-15 minutes.
6. Remove when risen and cooked through. Allow to cool and remove from pan.
7. For the chocolate glaze, melt your butter on a medium heat. Add your cocoa and milk and stir until thickening and about to boil.
8. Remove from heat, add icing sugar and give a quick whisk. Leave to cool down.
9. For the caramelised banana chop your banana to thin slices, spray your pan with a little oil and add you banana. Sprinkle with the brown sugar and cook on a low heat until caramelised.
10. Then dunk your doughnuts in the chocolate glaze and decorate! Yum!