31 January 2014

DOHnuts (Doughnuts inspired by the Simpsons)


So at the moment I love baked doughnuts and as a treat I decided to make my brother some Simpson doughnuts. Since we were little we have watched the Simpsons, I can honestly say it wouldn't surprise me if we had seen every episode. So when I found out that he was coming home from University for the weekend  I knew I had to make them. 





 I have always wanted to try a Simpson doughnut and I doubt these taste the same as the scrummy ones that Homer eats but for me they tasted incredible and are probably half the calories as they are baked not fried.

 We all need a treat now and then so instead of going for a fatty fried doughnut try baked doughnuts instead. They may be more cake than doughnut but they still taste amazing.










The good thing is that James, who is my trickiest customer, loved them and I can finally post the recipe up after trying to make it perfect. So I hope you enjoy it!








Makes 18


INGREDIENTS
400g plain flour
115g  Casting sugar
60g brown sugar
55g unsalted butter
50ml vegetable oil
2 eggs
250ml milk
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1tsp Vanilla extract
pinch of salt


METHOD
1. Preheat your oven to gas mark 6 (200C/400F). Make sure your butter and eggs are at room temperature.

 2. Grease your doughnut tin, either using butter or spray oil, if you don't have one you can use a muffin tin.

 Add together your butter and two sugars and mix until smooth, then add your oil.






 3. Add your two eggs and mix.





4. Add your baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, vanilla and salt and mix in.
 5. Add you milk and flour, alternating between the two until all has been added and it is nice and smooth.

 
 6. Place in your tins about 3/4 high, either use a spoon or a piping bag. Now place in the oven for 10 minutes until cooked through.

 7. They should look like this, not to brown and not to white.

 ICING



For the icing you just need to make a simple runny icing. This is basically 2 cups of icing sugar and enough water to make it runny, usually around 2 tbsps. Then your preferred flavoring and food dye.












 1. Sift you icing sugar into a bowl.










 2. Mix in enough water to make the icing runny.

 3. Add your food colouring and 1 tsp of Vanilla extract and then your sprinkles.

 So there you have it, Simpson doughnuts, baked perfection. I hope you enjoy my recipe and let me know what you think. If you have any questions I'm happy to help.



No comments:

Post a Comment