So fall is officially upon us, and it is starting to get cold. But this doesn't mean the end of the world because when there is fall there is a whole load of new fruits and vegetable coming into season. I think fall is my favorite season for baking so today I decided to incorporate two of my favorite fruits in a muffin that I can freeze and take to university next week with me.
1tbsp baking powder
1tsp vanilla extract
6tbsp vegetable oil
pinch of salt
290g plain flour
120g brown sugar
Takes 25 minutes to bake
1. Preheat your oven to gas mark 6 (200C/400F), make sure your eggs are at room temperature.
2. Peel and core your apples, cut them into small chunks.
3. Sift in your flour, baking powder and pinch of salt.
4. Mix in your brown sugar.
5. Add your apples and mix through.
6. Whisk together your eggs, vanilla, oil and buttermilk.
7. Add to your flour mixture and mix through.
8. Add your blackberries and fold in making sure not to mush up the blackberries. Make sure they are evenly distributed.
9. Either oil a muffin tin or place cases into the holes, fill the mixture to the top of the cases/tin.
10. Sprinkle with demerara sugar and place in the middle of the oven for 25-30 minutes until risen and golden.
11. Remove and leave to cool, these are really yummy and can be frozen for up to 4 weeks. Just stick them in the microwave or leave on the side to defrost. Such a sweet treat and so tasty. Give them a go and let me know what you think. If you have any questions please ask, I'm always here to help and will get back to you as soon as possible.