27 August 2013

LEMON AND ORANGE CAKE

 So I have had some lemons that had been in my fridge for ages and I had been meaning to stick them in a recipe for a while but kept forgetting, so today I sat down and brain stormed. I came up with a lemon cake but decided that was way to boring for me so decided on adding some oranges. It simple and scrummy! Perfect for afternoon tea. 
I have a lot of baking going on this week, today was for the lemons, thursday we're all going for a final picnic before all my friends go back to university and friday we have friends down so i'm expected to make then. I can't complain though, any excuse to bake! 

 INGREDIENTS
180g unsalted butter
180g casting sugar
3 eggs
145g self-raising flour
110g plain flour
2tbsp milk
1 lemon zest
1tbsp lemon juice
half and orange zest
1 tbsp orange juice




METHOD
Makes one loaf
Take 1 hour to bake

1. Make sure your eggs and butter are at room temperature. Preheat your oven to gas mark 3.
 2. Line your loaf tin with baking paper and butter the sides.
 3. Zest and juice your orange and lemon.
 4. Mix together your butter, casing sugar and zest until nice a smooth.
 5. Add your eggs and whisk until blended.
 6. Sift in your flours and mix well. Then add in your milk and juice until it has the consistency of cake mix.
 7. Place in your loaf tin and smooth out the top. Place in the oven for 1 hour.

 8. Remove when a skewer can be inserted and comes out clean. It should look like this.

ICING
 





 INGREDIENTS
175g icing sugar
Lemon zest
3 tbsp Orange Juice
Yellow and orange food colouring
 1. Mix together your icing sugar, yellow food colouring, zest and juice to form a thick icing.
2. Spread over your cake until covered leaving some icing to the side, mix that icing with the orange food colouring and using a spoon make a marble effect over the top. There you have it a moist lemon and orange cake. Super scrummy and dead easy. Give it a go and let me know what you think :)

No comments:

Post a Comment